Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Quick Quiz On Perspective.....

(This is taken from a book written by W.B. Freeman)


Putting Things In Perspective


To help put things in proper perspective, take this quiz:


1.  Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
2.  Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
3.  Name the last five winners of the Miss America contest.
4.  Name ten people who have won either a Noble or pulitzer peace prize.
5.  Name the last decade's worth of World Series Winners.


Now....


1.  List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
2.  Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
3.  Name five people who have taught you something.
4.  Name a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
5.  Think of five people who you enjoy spending time with.


Few people remember yesterdays headlines, even ones related to top achievers and those who are considered to be the best in their respective fields.  
Applause dies.
Awards tarnish.
Achievements are forgotten.
Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners. 


What's the lesson?


The people who make the most difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, money, fame, awards, or beauty. 


They are the ones who care.

***

What can I learn from this?


(1.) We need to remember that we don't put all of our value in things that really don't matter.  If there's no eternal value to it - then we probably shouldn't be killing ourselves to achieve it.


(2.) What are my priorities?  We've had the opportunity to travel to many different churches this past year and I always try to remind the congregations of one thing: 


There are only two things that are eternal - God and people. 
Does my life reflect that statement? 

We say we believe that but in all honesty I don't think we always live it - I know that I don't.  My goal is to make sure that I'm investing my time - my money - my resources on God and people.

Now buckle your seat belt because I'm going to just say what I'm thinking:

1.  If I don't take the time to talk to the Lord and read His word on a consistent basis - is He really a priority?
2.  If I choose to spend all of my time and money on me and my family and exclude others - is God's Kingdom really a priority?
  •      Sidenote for church people - if I fail to consistently return my tithes to the local church and I fail to give my financial offerings to the Lord then I'm stealing from Him.  Is the Lord and His work really a priority if we consistently commit crimes against Him and His church?  Is our giving done weekly or weakly?
  • We fail don't we?  Jesus still loves us but His perfect will is blocked until we get this one right. :)
So, Lord, help me to be a giver of my time and resources to You, my family, and your people.  Please give me mercy when I fail and the grace through You to correct my perspective.



Enough said.


***



facebook :)

iPic.










No comments: